There are already a slew of mailing lists for the many software components
used in building embedded systems based on the Linux kernel. This list
isn't meant to replace any of those lists, but rather to complement them
by providing a focal point for discussing those aspects which aren't
already served. Among other things, this list is the proper venue for
- How embedded systems based on Linux are put together.
- Where to find more information regarding a certain aspect of building
embedded Linux systems.
- Which software components implement a certain functionality and
what are the tradeoffs amongst existing implementations.
- Putting together a GNU cross-development toolchain for a Linux target.
- How to best configure the kernel for an embedded system.
- Constructing a root filesystem for a given purpose based on a fixed
set of requirements.
- Organizing storage devices for Linux-based embedded systems.
- Selecting a bootloader and using it in conjunction with the rest
of the system components.
- The ins and outs of providing network services in Linux-based embedded
- Which debugging tools are best adapted to solving a given
- Philosophical and down-to-earth issues surrounding the use of Linux
in embedded systems.
To subscribe to the mailing list or consult the mailing list archives, go
Once subscribed, you can post messages to the mailing list at this
Note that this is a subscriber-only mailing list. If you are not
subscribed, you will not be able to post any messages. This is the only
sane way to avoid being inundated by spam.